Why I quit HeapHire

HeapHire was going to be my way of taking the tech recruiting world by storm. Like the heap in programming, put your hiring needs in the heap. Clever, huh? 🀣

I wanted to do recruiting to have more independence. It was hard to have that in a 9-5 programming job. I enjoy the pace of sales roles. The ups and downs make it exciting. I thought it could be a good fit because I have previous sales and programming experience.

But as soon as I started cold calling to fill positions that I could do myself, I realized there had to be a better way. I wanted to tinker, refine, iterate, test, and build a project again. It is delightful! But not only that, when I found out about Shopify Partners, I saw I could get the things I wanted from recruiting and continue to have fun coding and building things, working on projects, and being creative!

As someone who can be all over the place, Shopify provides a narrow path to concentrate on specific frameworks. This simplifies things for me. As a Shopify Partner, there are also endless opportunities to help people in so many ways through code and be entrepreneurial about it.

The moral of the story is that I feel propelled by challenges and ups and downs, but love coding and creating a project. I tried to get the lifestyle in recruiting, but my purpose couldn't hide. Instead, out of necessity, it pointed me freelance coding and a simple way to do it. Good thing I tried something that didn't work out!

One's purpose will keep coming back. When I ventured out to try something new, I quickly gained a perspective that showed me what I couldn't see before and how I could get more than I wanted, and help people even more.

You can run, but you can't hide from your purpose. It will always find you. If you listen to it, it will come back to you and show you better ways. It's a journey, not a destination. There are times to try new things and when they come along, they offer gems of insight of what is really possible, whether it is the new thing or not.

Comments

Popular Posts